My father-in-law has stage 4 prostate cancer. He has had more than a years worth of chemo plus he was in a drug study. What is his chances?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Lot depends on age

His age at diagnosis, general health, will to live, strength to fight this beast, receiving compassionate care, having loving support system, all are factors that help get to the answer. Even then, a knowledgable, experienced doc does would not try to give a specific answer. .
If he is under 65, it is usually a more aggressive cancer (my father died at 55 with it); if over 75, may have yrs left.

In brief: Lot depends on age

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not great

Typically stage 4 patients after first line chemotherapy can get a second type of chemotherapy and newer oral hormone- like pills and potentially on to another drug study- all this if his physical condition permits.
Average survival is in the 1-2 year range at this point but varies greatly from patient to patient (can be more or less). Good luck and best wishes.

In brief: Not great

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Marsha Davis