I have an old whiplash injury from years ago and my neck has crunching noises when I move it. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: If painful, yes

Crunching noises may mean there is some degenerative arthritis in the neck, which occurs more likely in joints that have been previously lnjured, or knees and hips of obese people which are bearing the brunt of every step.
I have this crunch because i got slammed down on my neck while body surfing (took the wave wrong). If it is painful of have shooting pain down either arm, have it evaluated.

In brief: If painful, yes

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Grating facet joints

Painless grating should not be worried about could be brought on by the combonation of inflamed joints and tight muscles.

In brief: Grating facet joints

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine