How common is henoch schonlein purpura?

Dr. Christine Hom

In brief: Commonly uncommon

Quoted figures are between 6 and 22 per 100,000 children.
So if you estimate 1 in 10,000, most pediatricians will see a few cases in their careers, and most people (friends, neighbors and family) will never have heard of it. Consider it a common disease that is uncommonly seen.

In brief: Commonly uncommon

Dr. Christine Hom
Dr. Christine Hom
2 comments
Dr. Richard Roberts
those figures may be widely underestimated because of either misdiagnosis or those affected not seeking treatment. In the past 1 1/2 years I have mede this diagnosis twice--my 28-year old daughter (confirmed by a hematologist) and my other daughter's boyfriend (also so confirmed).
Dr. Christine Hom
It it's you, it's suddenly not an uncommon disease. But it is not a rare disease and every pediatrician (and any MD or DO) has heard of it. I consider it more common than cystic fibrosis, but many more people have heard of cystic fibrosis than have heard of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. And by the numbers, CF IS more common.
Dr. Emily Altman
Dermatology

In brief: Henoch Schoenlein

Not very common. In the us about 15 people in 100, 000 develop henoch schoenlein purpura, but it varies in different countries.
In england it's 20 people in 100, 000. It primarily affects children between 2 and 13 years of age, but adults can be affected as well.

In brief: Henoch Schoenlein

Dr. Emily Altman
Dr. Emily Altman