If my baby has a round, red, circular rash, could he have Lyme disease?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
In brief: Unlikely
To develop lyme disease, you have to be exposed to a tick bite.
Infants are unlikely to get bitten by ticks.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
In brief:
If you child or teen has had a tick bite, or been in an area where a tick bite is possible, consider lyme disease a possibility.
The red rash looks like a large target. Test results can be falsely positive or falsely negative. If a tick has been removed, it is best to go ahead and treat.

In brief:
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
In brief: Unlikely
Untill an infant is up walking around and getting into mischif, i doubt they would be exposed to the tic vector. I believe it must attach and feed for 24 hr before it will pass its germ.Most parents would notice a tic during bathing.
That said, I have seen it in a 15 mo. The primary bite wound and secondary target ring lesion were dramatic. In infants a ring worm would be more likely.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Possibly
The classic rash of lyme looks has a red center, then a normal area surrounded by a red ring.
Ticks are the most likely vector of lyme, but there is strong evidence that biting flies like deerflies and horseflies can transmit lyme (see http://www.Nejm.Org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199006143222415) and it is theorized other biting insects may also transmit it. But there are many other causes of rashes.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Peter Kurzweil