I have just found out the person who I have been massaging for years has squamous cell carcinoma, could I have this also under my nails?

Garrett Caldwell
In brief: No
You do not have to worry about squamous cell carcinoma just because one of your massage clients has been diagnosed with it.
If you're concerned get a full body skin exam from your physician.

In brief: No
Garrett Caldwell
Garrett Caldwell
Answer assisted by Garrett Caldwell, Medical Student
Christopher Breen
General Practice
In brief: No
Squamous cell carcinoma is not contagious.
It's not possible to get it from direct contact.

In brief: No
Christopher Breen
Christopher Breen
Answer assisted by Christopher Breen, Medical Student
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Not exactly...
Though you may have trapped skin cells under your fingernails, you cannot contract skin cancer from them.

In brief: Not exactly...
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. James Riscoe
Emergency Medicine
In brief: 1
There is no medical evidence or mechanism of injury from the transmission of squamous cell carcinoma by either casual or prologed contact exposure.
The source for the squamous cell cancer in the masseuse is from prolonged exposure to ionizing radiation and it is purely a local phenomenon not able to cross over to any personal contacts. Continue to enjoy the massage /jmmr.

In brief: 1
Dr. James Riscoe
Dr. James Riscoe
Randy Burgett
General Practice
In brief: No
You cannot get cancer just from touching or massaging someone that has squamous cell carcinoma.

In brief: No
Randy Burgett
Randy Burgett
Answer assisted by Randy Burgett, Medical Student