I had a breast reduction in 2002 due to major back problems after surgery everything was great but now all the pain is back. Should I get surgery?

Morgan Daul
General Practice
In brief: NO
Don't jump straight to surgery.
Please see your primary care physician to determine the cause of your back pain. Back pain is caused by a number of different reasons and seeing as the original cause of your pain is no longer the current cause there may be a number of other options for treatment.

In brief: NO
Don't jump straight to surgery.
Morgan Daul
Morgan Daul
Answer assisted by Morgan Daul, Medical Student
Dr. Scott Beard
I assume this is in mid to upper back. Work on posture, stress reduction, aerobic exercise. Massage therapy and chiropractic may be of benefit as well. When driving sit back in your seat with your head against the headrest, this is proper posture in most vehicles if the headrest is at right height, surgery is no more effective than bedrest for back pain in most cases
Dr. David Bozak
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Slow down
If the pain is back something else could be going on.
Physical therapy would be a good place to start to make sure your core, trunk, and low back muscles are all optimized. Especially after having surgery. If this doesn't work you should have the pain worked up by someone experienced with back pain.

In brief: Slow down
Dr. David Bozak
Dr. David Bozak
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Get evaluated
The weight reduction you experienced .
May not have solved an underlying structural problem. See a back specialist.

In brief: Get evaluated
The weight reduction you experienced .
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Jane Van Dis