I found painkess pea duze lump in right armpit. In oct I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.Had thyroid removed and did rai jan 3 should I be concerned?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: No

It is very unusual for thyroid cancer to spread to the armpit.
Anything is possible - so if the area seems to be growing, have it checked out. But - small lymph nodes in the armpit are very common and usually nothing serious.

In brief: No

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
How old are you? If you have a strong family history, you should see a genetic counselor - you might also want to consider an MRI of the breast if your risk is high enough. Check out the Gail model online to assess your breast risk.
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology

In brief: Yes & no

Painless lumps in the armpit can be a sign of a cyst, lipoma (benign growth of fat) or enlarged lymph node.
It is unlikely that thyroid cancer is a cause. If you are a woman, have you had a mammogram or a breast examination? If not you should ask your doctor for one. Do you have unexplained weight loss? If the lump increases in size or persists have your doctor look at it.

In brief: Yes & no

Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Should be followed

In general, we don't think of a lymph node as being enlarged unless it is at least 1.
5-2.0 CM in size (and, even then, it is usually not due to cancer). Furthermore, thyroid cancer will involve the lymph nodes in the neck well before the axilla (armpit). I suggest that you point it out to your thyroid cancer doctor now so that they have a "baseline" exam to compare to over the next few months.

In brief: Should be followed

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Adam Smith