If it’s been two days, and my newborn hasn’t pooped yet, should I call the doctor?

Dr. Lawrence Rosen

In brief: Probably not

This can be very normal - if the baby is not fussy and feeding well, unlikely to be a problem. However, if the baby isn't feeding well - or you are not sure, especially if there are fewer wet diapers than expected (less than 4-6 per day), make sure you check with your doctor. Or if the newborn has any special issues - jaundice for example - check with your doctor.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Lawrence Rosen
Dr. Lawrence Rosen
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz

In brief: Depends

It depends on the age of the baby and whether there are other symptoms.
Infants may not have bowel movements daily or every other day and breastfed babies even longer. If the baby is eating and comfortable without vomiting it may just be the pattern of the babies stooling.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Shontae Buffington