What is the best over-the-counter medicine for allergies?

It depends. You have to be cautious with any medication. Some antihistamines may cause you to be drowsy and impair you specially when driving, others do not have this effect. Read labels carefully and determine what is best for your lifestyle. Avoidance of triggering factors is useful if you know what you are allergic to. A visit to the allergist may be in order!
No BEST. There is actually no best otc allergy medicine. You just have to try the different ones out there and see what works well for you. I highly recommend using saline nasal wash or rinse regularly. If nothing seems to work, then see your doctor for prescription medications for allergies.
Cetirizine/Zyrtec. Assuming that "allergies" means itchy eyes, sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, post-nasal drip caused by contact with inhaled substances to which you are allergic (e.g. Pollen, pets, dust, mold), then Cetirizine (generic of zyrtec) 10 mg, 1 tab, at bedtime is most likely to give you relief. Cetirizine can cause sedation; most peopel who take it at bedtime are fine next am.