What are the disadvantages of robotic surgery?

In brief: Robotic surgery

This is new technology and many surgeons are not properly trained.
Experience is the key with surgery, even with robotics !

In brief: Robotic surgery

Dr. Richard Sarle
Robotic surgery is so new many surgeons are in the learning phase of training. I advise going to a surgeon who has done at least 500 procedures. If the surgeon can only do one procedure in an entire day, go elsewhere.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

In brief: I'm biased

Not the "direct" human touch that i've learned and refined over many years of microsurgical care.
My direct visual exposure through my operating microscope allows me instant visual feedback at which time i can make micro adjustments. I personally trained to be a ophthalmic surgeon & i don't want to be replaced by a robotic system, that may eventually replace the skills i've learned over the years-.

In brief: I'm biased

Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics

In brief: Robotic surgery

The only real disadvantage is cost to the health care system. Assuming your surgeon is an experienced robotic and laparoscopic surgeon, the idea is that the da vinci robot gives you better dexterity and visualization.
The only downside is cost, but not to the patient.

In brief: Robotic surgery