I have 3rd degree acne and I am taking isotretonoin tablets 20 mg for past 1 month but no effect?Can I continue or any other better treatment?

Dr. Michelle Chambers
Dermatology

In brief: Accutane

Your dose is way to low.
The goal is to prevent recurrance of acne. At this dose there is a good chance that it will not work and an even better chance that the acne will return when you stop the medication.

In brief: Accutane

Your dose is way to low.
Dr. Michelle Chambers
Dr. Michelle Chambers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Not working

One month is not sufficient to give this medication a good chance.
Most patients have less new lesions and some healing in the first month, almost no new lesions and more healing, and by the third to fourth month very few new lesions, and significant healing of the older acne lesson. You may need to retry some other combinations with your dermatologist if this does not happen.

In brief: Not working

Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
While I am not certain what 3rd degree acne is exactly I would agree with Dr. Albers. It is not unusual for patients to worsen during the first month of isotretinoin therapy. The end point of therapy is a cumulative dose based on your weight. It usually takes about 6 months of treatment to get to that point. 20-40 mg a day is a common starting dose. 60-80 mg per day is a pretty common dose.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil