I sprained my knee two weeks ago. Is it normal for my ankle to swell?

Dr. Kenneth Gati
Orthopedic Surgery

It is not uncommon for swelling to occur in body parts that are below the site of injury do to gravity.
To help with the swelling elevate the injuried extremity. Compression socks can also help keep the swelling down.

Dr. Kenneth Gati
Dr. Kenneth Gati
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine

The inflammation and bleeding can travel down via gravity and settle in the ankle and foot.
Many people that have a knee replacement will develop bruising in the bottom of the foot. If there is any calf pain/swelling or pain/swelling in the opper leg, you need to get it checked.

Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine