Does dental work such as fillings and extractions cause throat infections or cause you to spit up brown mucus?

It can. Extractions can cause a little bleeding and this can cause to spit up dried blood.
No. The treatment itself will not cause infections, but the underlying condition, as in a bad tooth that needs to be extracted might be causing an infection that requires an antibiotic in addition to the extraction.
A dental abcess. Occasionally a dental abcess may arise from a site of extraction if predisposing factors such as poor dentition/ dental hygiene, prior radiation therapy (ie. H&n cancer), severe smoking.