How do I know if my baby has appendicitis?

Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: It's rare
Appendicitis is rare in babies, but when it occurs it can cause sustained high fevers, irritability or decreased activity, and vomiting/refusal to eat.
Babies with appendicitis are quite ill, and seem much sicker than babies with more ordinary problems.

In brief: It's rare
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
The youngest case I've seen in thirty yrs was a 15mo boy with recurrent vomiting and fever.
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
In brief: Abdominal Pain
Appendicitis can present in many ways.
Typically, the child will lose appetite first, develop fever second, and abdominal pain is the third symptom. It is usually starts at the belly button and moves to the lower right hand side. Children curl up in the fetal position and do not want to move. If you gently shake them, it causes them great pain. These are signs you should go to the er.

In brief: Abdominal Pain
Appendicitis can present in many ways.
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle