I am 24 week pregnant and I have been experiencing braxton hicks contractions. Yesterday and today I noticed spotting, should I be concerned?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: See a doctor
Any woman who has vaginal bleeding or contractions during pregnancy should see her doctor. It is difficult to say without a physical exam whether or not you should be concerned.
You might consider making an appointment as soon as possible to have this evaluated.

In brief: See a doctor
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Go to the ER ASAP,
It is not normal to have contractions and bleeding at 24 weeks - please see your closest emergency room asap for thorough evaluation as this could be preterm labor and serious.

In brief: Go to the ER ASAP,
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Call your OB
May be something, may be nothing. Call your ob-today.

In brief: Call your OB
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Allison Greco
General Practice
In brief: See your doctor!
It is normal to experience some contractions throughout pregnancy, however; it is important to make sure you are not experiencing preterm labor.
Similarly, some spotting may be normal, but it is also possible that you may have a complication with your placenta or the baby. Infections in your vagina or urinary tract may also cause these symptoms. Your doctor can rule out any serious complications.

In brief: See your doctor!
Allison Greco
Allison Greco
Answer assisted by Allison Greco, Medical Student
Dr. Jane Van Dis