My husband has been coughing up phlegm that looks like worms. What could it be?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Worms?
Patients with the largest of round worms, ascaris lumricoides, may cough up worms.
I have seen them come out of the ear drums and the nose. But these do not "look like worms" - they are worms, and not mistakable for anything else. If you can describe your husband's phlegm in more detail it might be helpful, or take a specimen freshly coughed up to your local doctor.

In brief: Worms?
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Luis Matos
Sometimes you can cough up round worm-like castings of your bronchial tubes. Brown plugs and asthma have been associated with ABPA (a chronic allergic lung condition with a fungus growing in the lungs) Cystic fibrosis patients can also produce these, not of a particular color. Curschmann's spirals can be coughed up with severe asthma and several other conditions. Be sure to let his Doctor know.
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
In brief: Take a specimen in
Take a specimen of his sputum to your doctor to let him/her look at it and possibly send it off to be analyzed.
Either you are confusing thick mucous as worms or he may have an infestation of parasites. If he travels outside the us this of a higher possibility.

In brief: Take a specimen in
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine