What would cause blood clots or dried blood particles during a period? This is abnormal for me but I did just start taking birth control pills again 

That's all normal. Your menstrual blood will change on bcps, usually it gets much lighter in total volume, especially as time goes on. Small blood clots (smaller than a golf ball) or dried blood particles are normal.
BCPs. Oral contraceptives have a tendency to decrease the volume of bleeding on your period because the uterine lining is thinned by the pills. This is by design and can produce the type of dried look to the menstrual floe you are experiencing.