My one year old has an ear infection. I've been using peroxide and thats been doing the job. Can I still use it? Is it safe?

Dr. Glenn Kaye
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No to peroxide

Peroxide is never a good thing to use in the ear. While it is widely recommended by those who don't know better, it is a bit of an "old wives' tale".
It does not cure any infection, nor does it dissolve or remove cerumen. Regarding your child's "ear infection"; it must first be distinguished whether the infection is otitis media (middle ear infection), or otitis externa (external ear infecion).

In brief: No to peroxide

Dr. Glenn Kaye
Dr. Glenn Kaye
Dr. Kamlesh Desai

In brief: Peroxide

If it is an outer ear infection, and peroxide is helping , continue daily use for a week if not resolved see your pediatrician, as it may be wax not coming out on it's own.

In brief: Peroxide

Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Cindy Juster