Can starting birth control pills again after a year hiatus cause blood clots?

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Small risk

Birth control pills carry a small increased risk of forming a blood clot.
This risk is markedly increased in women over 35 who smoke, and these women should not take the pill. Discuss your personal medical history with your doctor to see if the pill is the right birth control option for you.

In brief: Small risk

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne DiNapoli, Medical Student
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Birth control pills

there is definitely relationship between use of birth control pills and possible development of venous thrombosis.
I will discuss this with her gynecologist to determine which best type of contraceptive would be best for you

In brief: Birth control pills

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Jane Van Dis