How does one undertake kidney dialysis done; is it very uncomfortable and do you feel better after a treatment?

Dr. Jerry Light
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Peritoneal or hemo

There are 2 types of dialysis: hemodialysis & peritoneal.
Hemodialysis is generally done at a dialysis center 3x/week & requires "access" into the blood stream, a fistula is preferred, it can also be done thru a large catheter (tube) that is placed in a neck vein. After dialysis, one may feel a bit drained. Peritoneal dialysis is done at home through a catheter inserted into the abdominal cavity.

In brief: Peritoneal or hemo

Dr. Jerry Light
Dr. Jerry Light
Dr. Linda Gromko
Ask your nephrologist about the possibility of doing dialysis in your own home. Both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis can be done at home. You get trained by a special team of nurses in the dialysis center - plus there's always telephone help available. Additionally, you can still go to the center if you need to. My husband and I found this to be the most "user friendly" approach to dialysis. Good luck. LGromkoMD
Dr. William Forsythe