What to do if I have a callus on my feet and there is a wound in it. How do I get rid of the callus?

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Depends on the cause

Many things can cause calluses.
Some reasons that one may develop a callus include: viral infections (warts), friction, pressure, repedetive trauma, and a limitation of joint motion. Some genetic conditions may also cause people to develop calluses on the hands and the feet. Treatment depends on the cause of the problem. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Depends on the cause

Many things can cause calluses.
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: Careful, careful

If diabetic, then the callus and wound need to be seen by a wound care expert immediately.
Callus is the body's attempt to protect an injured area. It can hide a serious ulcer and so in diabetics, it needs to be removed immediately and the ulcer underneath explored. Callus is thick, dry tissue and it can crack, thus tearing the delicate tissues underneath. This is a potentially serious problem.

In brief: Careful, careful

In brief: Callous

First are you diabetic? This can be serious if diabetic.
If not see podiatrist to trim the area and treat any infection if present and orthotics may be needed.

In brief: Callous