Can I get acne scars from popping whiteheads?

Yes. Picking at your skin can cause acne scarring and should be avoided. Wash with a good soap designed specfically for the face. Use a good face moisturizer. Over the counter products like benzoyl peroxide are a good start to treat acne. If your acne is more severe or if there are nodules present you should consider seeing a dermatologist.
Maybe, probably not. Unlikely if it is a true whitehead or blackhead. Sometimes a hair follicle, pore, sweat gland, or small piece of fat can mimic a whitehead. If you squeeze that out, it could leave a scar.