In my first pregnancy, I could barely stay awake. Is there anything I can do now that i’m pregnant again to increase energy?

Dr. Patricia Rogers

In brief: Fatigue is common.

Early pregnancy is often accompanied by either fatigue or nausea and vomiting.
Usually women feel better after week 12. If you continue to be very tired, make sure you're not anemic, and tell your doctor so he can check your thyroid levels along with your regular labs. It's harder with the second pregnancy because you have a small child to take care of along with your pregnancy fatigue.

In brief: Fatigue is common.

Dr. Patricia Rogers
Dr. Patricia Rogers
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Tired/sleepy in preg

Sleepiness is common and normal during pregnancy, particularly in first and third trimester even without other sleep disoders like apnea or RLS that also do increase with pregnancy.
I recommend people anticipate accordingly and when sleepy take short naps which can be restorative. Maintain exercise and good nutrition which also combats some sleepiness.

In brief: Tired/sleepy in preg

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Sleepiness

If you are sleepy instead of fatigued, the physician to see is a sleep disorder specialist.
You may have sleep apnea. You would not need medication to treat that. The treatment is CPAP and it is not contraindicated in pregnancy.

In brief: Sleepiness

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Fatigue

Is normal the first trimester and usually energy returns to normal in the second trimester. It is normal and there is not much you can do to help it.
Too much caffeine is not a good idea. Avoid it.

In brief: Fatigue

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Jane Van Dis