Klonopin is working wonders for me but in addition to severe anxiety, I have add & am so scatterbrained. Is it okay to take both klonopin and adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine)?

Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: Yes, but...

There's no medical reason these can't be taken together. However, they may "fight" each other: Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) is a stimulant that can add to anxiety, whereas Klonopin is a sedating tranquilizer that can worsen your attention and concentration.
Your doctor would need to monitor your situation closely with this combination to make sure it's helping and not hurting. There are alternatives for each, too.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Bariatrics

In brief: Ask the doctor

Hopefully the physician prescribing these drugs is available to discuss these medications with you.
Only he/she should and can explain to you why you have been prescribed these meds. No responsible physician not directly aware of your particular needs can answer what is right, wrong, safe or required in your treatment. Ask your doctor!

In brief: Ask the doctor

Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: Just another thought

As my colleagues have already raised the medical issues and I answered this same question in a different form elsewhere on HealthTap.
It would be wise to consider the difference between "feeling good" and actually functioning well and responding to environmental stimuli appropriately. Of course you will think a medication is helping if it makes you feel good, as benzos do.How are you functioning?

In brief: Just another thought

Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
And for this it's best to ask those close to you about their observations. Are you losing your keys constantly? Where is your phone? Are you not doing things that you used to do because you are not motivated or just don't care? Benzos have a tendency to do that...your memory and thinking are impaired on benzos, so you can't be the judge of this one.
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Absolutely!

These meds can work well together. But both meds require expert management.
Stay in close communication with your doctor, and do not deviate from the prescribed doses without consultation and further direction.

In brief: Absolutely!

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Jeff Seaman

In brief: Ok but...

I have encountered many patients who have complained of add and anxiety.
After careful history, exam and and observation, some of these individuals were found to have diagnoses other than add or anxiety. Not all attentional problems are due to add, and not all "anxiety" complaints are due to a primary anxiety disorder. I'd recommend a comprehensive eval by a capable psychiatrist.

In brief: Ok but...

Dr. Jeff Seaman
Dr. Jeff Seaman
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Comorbidities

Adhd & anxiety are highly comorbid.
Both need to be treated simultaneously. Standard practice is to stabilize anxiety, then treat adhd. There are many effective treatments for both, including benzodiazepines and amphetamines. Please consult a physician expert in these areas to manage these complex comorbidities.

In brief: Comorbidities

Adhd & anxiety are highly comorbid.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Eric Weisman