How do I know if my occasional upset stomach / diarrhea (maybe 1x per week) are signs of something more serious?

Dr. Lorne Bigley

In brief: Weight loss

There are several "red flags" that we look for. The most ominous one is weight loss.
If you are having blood in your stool, or if your stool is turning black (and you are not on pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) which turns stool black ) then this is also worrisome. If these things happen, see your doctor.

In brief: Weight loss

Dr. Lorne Bigley
Dr. Lorne Bigley
Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: See your doctor

Begin by visiting your primary care doctor. If the cause is not obvious, next step would be referral to a gastroenterologist.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. Steven Seres