I'm planning on fixing an ingrown toenail. What's the best way to numb the pain before doing it?

Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: See a doctor.

I would not recommend removing your own ingrown toenail.
If it hurts enough that you want to numb it before working on it, you should let a doctor work on it instead. I never recommend self-administered "bathroom surgery"!

In brief: See a doctor.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam

In brief: See a podiatrist

It is very ill advised to try to do this yourself.
See o board certified podiatric physician to have it done properly. If a matrixectomy is not performed where the cells that the nail grows from are eradicated so that section of nail does not grow back in you will simply get another one given time.

In brief: See a podiatrist

Dr. John Callahan
Dr. John Callahan
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
While I happen to be board certified, I fail to see the emphasis on the necessity here. Any podiatrist board certified or not is more than capable of taking care of this problem. It is the most basic procedure performed by a podiatrist.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Go to your

Podiatrist you need local anesthesia.
Not a good idea to try this yourself.......You potentially can make your problem much worse.

In brief: Go to your

Podiatrist you need local anesthesia.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Have it evaluated.

Ingrown toenails can be remedied through soaking your foot in warm water, removal of embedded debris from the nail borders, and applying an antibiotic ointment to temporarily soften the corners.
One should always try to cut the nails strait across to avoid leaving an embedded nail spicule. If pain or redness continues get it looked at by a professional.

In brief: Have it evaluated.

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat