What is the best course of treatment for a sprained ankle?

Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: RICE

Rest it, ice it (bag of frozen veggies works in a pinch), compress it in an ace wrap or brace, elevate it as much as possible and take Ibuprofen or alleve to decrease the pain and swelling.
If you cannot put any weight on it at all you should see your doctor. You may need crutches or further evaluation.

In brief: RICE

Dr. Swati Avashia
Dr. Swati Avashia

In brief: Rest

Ice, elevation, NSAID for pain.
I suggest you have an x-ray if pain persists.

In brief: Rest

Ice, elevation, NSAID for pain.
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Obviously the above rice method is typical But an xray should be done for evaluation. If there is a large amount of swelling, sometimes an mri is helpful to discriminate a grade 2 from grade 3 sprain
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Several things

One should elevate the extremity, use an ice pack, use an elastic bandage (not too tight) and take some Ibuprofen (if not allergic).
I am assuming you don't believe or have been told it is not broken. Rice--rest, ice, compression, elevation. If there is concern for ligamentous instability, fracture or other issues, then you should see your pcp, orthopedist or sports medicine doc.

In brief: Several things

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine