Can a body get used to unnatural multivitamins and be inable to obtain the natural vitamins from food? How frequently does that happen?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: It doesn't

Food, supplements and vitamins are broken down into their components in the normal process of digestion.
These small molecules are then absorbed and find their way to where they are needed in the body. The components of multivitamins, when broken down, are not unnatural and the body makes no distinction about the source.

In brief: It doesn't

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: No

I have never heard that your body can become unable to absorb vitamins from natural foods by taking multivitamins.
I don't believe that can happen. If you stop taking multivitamins, you may want to consider taking vitamin d (commonly low) if you are a man, plus vitamin B12 if vegetarian, iron if you are a menstruating woman, Folic Acid if planning pregnancy, and calcium plus d if postmenopausal.

In brief: No

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Andrea Brand