No health insurance and I was refurred to physical therapy for my knee sprain. Can I do my own therapy at home by looking up workouts online?

Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Better for PT

It is pretty easy to make mistakes or accidentally cheat on doing stretches and also easy to misdiagnose yourself and do the wrong stretches, or do the right stretches poorly when looking things up on the internet.
Even if you have to pay out of pocket, better to see pt 1-2 times to get it right. Just make clear in advance what your finance limitations are and goals for the session to limit cost.

In brief: Better for PT

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Morgan Daul
General Practice

In brief: Possibly

Speak to your physician regarding self stretching techniques and exercise.
Also, it may not be essential to attend a physical therapist for an extended period of time, but consider seeing the pt for at least one session to get you started. They will provide you with a set of stretches and exercises to help you on your way to recovery.

In brief: Possibly

Morgan Daul
Morgan Daul
Answer assisted by Morgan Daul, Medical Student
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine