How can you prevent painful mouth canker sores?

Aphthous ulcers. Try closys toothpaste, but you are likely to be disappointed. Most aphthae are of unknown cause. Sometimes there is a serious condition. There are numerous remedies which have been tried, such as prednisone, Colchicine . See a dermatologist if you need help.
Change toothpaste. About 85% of canker sores are linked to the use of toothpastes that have a foaming agent called sodium laurel sulfate. Check the box or tube of toothpaste for this chemical. If listed try a toothpaste without this ingredient. My personal preference is a toothpaste called closys, but there are others available.