What is the fastest way I can lose weight and is weight loss surgery the only way?

Weight loss. Well, the goal should not be to try to lose weight as fast as possible. The goal should be to lose it in a healthy way, and keep it off for the rest of your life. If you starved yourself, you would lose weight rapidly, but that isn't healthy. With a gastric bypass, if you were 100lbs overweight, you would lose about 65-70lbs in about 1 year. With exercise, you can lose much more.
Last resort. Weight loss surgery is the last resort. It is not necessary to lose weight fast. It is better to lose slowly over a period of time with a balanced diet and exercise regimen. Weight loss surgery is done only in cases of failure to lose weight any other way and the patient is suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes etc. After surgery some of these chronic diseases may recede or disappear.