If I had an emergency c-section with my first child does that mean I will be at high risk with a second?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Need x C section

Depending upon the reason why you required c section.
If there is something permanent like small pelvis then you will probably require always c sections. If there was fetal suffering or stress during the last moments of labor then it is probably a one time deal. Ask your ob.

In brief: Need x C section

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
You may also ask your doctor the type of incision done at the uterus. Occasionally, a vertical incision is done for an emergency situation. If that is the case, a repeat CS is the best approach for subsequent pregnancies as labor will increase her risk of uterine rupture.
Dr. Kevin Daus

In brief: High Risk

I think you will be at risk for uterine rupture the next pregnancy.
If you want to try to labor the next pregnancy, then my suggestion is to follow these rules to lower the risk...If you show up in labor and are 6 CM dilated, then try to have the delivery. If you are 1 cm, then consider a repeat c/s; finally, if you are 3 to 5 cm, then give it some time to see if the cervix changes.

In brief: High Risk

Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Jane Van Dis