I have a persistent thin black line that runs the length of my nail. Other than subungual melanoma, what might this represent?

Dr. Nika Ferdowsi
In brief: Melanonychia
Melanonychia is black line that runs the nail.
It can represent many diagnosis, and subungal melanoma is one of them. It could also be a splinter hemorrhage which can be benign or as a sign of a serious heart condition. Other causes of the black line could be a fungal or bacterial infection, and and many others possibilities. A dermatologist can help you figure out what's going on.

In brief: Melanonychia
Dr. Nika Ferdowsi
Dr. Nika Ferdowsi
Dr. Ghiath Kashlan
In brief: Need to be checked.
Any preceding trauma? Any trouble with other nails? Otherwise, hard to say without examining the nail.
This might be evaluated by your pcp or dermatologist.

In brief: Need to be checked.
Dr. Ghiath Kashlan
Dr. Ghiath Kashlan
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Trauma?
But best to have your friendly dermatologist take a look.

In brief: Trauma?
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner