I had asthma when I was 5. It went away when I was 7. I had inhalers. Now my doctor thinks I have it again, but I have no allergies. Is this possible?

Dr. Gregory Fehr
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Asthma

Asthma may be either intrinsic (you got it) or extrinsic (trigerred by external factors).
If you have some mild wheezing, use your inhaler. If it is a more serious problem you may get some allergen testing, or check with a pulmonologist.

In brief: Asthma

Dr. Gregory Fehr
Dr. Gregory Fehr
Dr. James Glauber
Any acute trouble breathing should lead to a same day visit to your doctor or an emergency room. But it is certainly possible to have childhood asthma that 'goes away' for years, then returns in adulthood.
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

Typically asthma is not truly "outgrown.
" it is a chronic process that can improve or worsen over time. As people age their lung function naturally declines. In people with a history of asthma, this decline is faster than others, and some people see asthma symptoms return in adulthood. Viruses and allergies are two common triggers associated with asthma in adults. Allergy testing is a good idea!

Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. Adam Smith