Are spanx as good as a lipo garment after liposuction? 

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Surgical garments will offer more compression, additionally they are made with side zippers and are usually crotchless so they are far more convenient and comfortable in the early post operative period.
Spanx are ok after the first several weeks.

In brief: No

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not Really

Spanx are good, but they probably don't provide enough compression and are more difficult to put on and remove.
A couple weeks after liposuction, spanx are likely adequate.

In brief: Not Really

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Not for Stage I but after 2 to 3 weeks it is OK.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Very good

Some of my male patients prefer to wear spanx rather than our garments.
So far, I have had positive results and feedback from my patients.

In brief: Very good

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Michael Bermant
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Spanx not Effective

Liposuction garments are expensive but designed to minimize swelling and bruising.
This is something in a better forum i could demonstrate with a link to typical swelling and bruising pictures i was able to produce with a surgical garment. Unfortunately, links here just are left garbled. http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/tummy_tuck/bruising_swelling_recovery_gallery.htm leaving no room for answer.

In brief: Spanx not Effective

Dr. Michael Bermant
Dr. Michael Bermant
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: For men or women?

Yours is an excellent question.
I will refer it to some experts in liposuction for people of either gender.

In brief: For men or women?

Yours is an excellent question.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Robert True
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Most of the time

We have used spanx after liposuction with very good results.
One must make sure that they don't wrinkle, especially on the abdomen, which can cause deep creases in the tissue. I recommend to add some type of flat, smooth support here. Something like a thin piece of cardboard will do, placed under the spanx, to make the tummy very smooth and flat without the wrinkle.

In brief: Most of the time

Dr. Robert True
Dr. Robert True