Should I my baby be vaccinated for the non-required vaccinations?

Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

There are many vaccines that will help your baby very much even if they aren't "required'.
Hepatitis a and rotavirus are good examples, highly recommended but usually not required. There are circumstances that increase the importance of the recommended vaccines, such as travel outside the us, daycare environments and certain illnesses. Have an open discussion with your doctor about any concerns.

Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
The non-required vaccines are for diseases that cause fewer than 100 deaths a year. Still too many!
Dr. Lisa Roberts

The answer to this question really depends! if your baby will be attending daycare and has bad reflux for example-- you should strongly consider the rotavirus vaccine.
However, if your child will be at home with you- no church/gym nursery, no older siblings/cousins, etc- you may opt to defer that vaccine. This question is best discussed with your doctor who can provide the best guidance~.

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Julia Sundel

Vaccinations protect your baby from disease.

Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Mark Diamond

Requirements are unimportant.
Your baby's health and safety is preeminent! vaccines are safe and effectve. Experts spend a great deal of time studying vaccines for effectiveness and safety. Their recommendations, once made shoud be the guide to which vaccines you should have.

Requirements are unimportant.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

"non-required" vaccines are sometimes for protection from lower-severity illnesses, compared to the severe illnesses of epidemic proportions that the "required" vaccines act against.
Chicken pox vaccine changed from non-required to required in recent years. Hepatitis a, pneumococcal, and rotavirus vaccines are non-required but are good vaccines. They protect against several serious infections.

Dr. Paul Trani

I'm a huge fan of vaccines - the best public health initiative of the 20th century.
Any vaccine offered to your baby has been rigorously tested - specifically for the health of infants. If you have any questions, i would recommend immunizationinfo.Org for specific non-biased (i.e. Non-vaccine company-funded) information. Or, talk to your provider.

Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Kevin Windisch

Only vaccinate against the illnesses you don't want your child to die from. Put another way, all vaccine preventable illnesses are potentially fatal, why wouldn't you want your child kept safe?

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Ruben Rucoba

Some vaccine are not required for school entry, but that doesn't mean they aren't important.
The diseases these vaccine prevent can be harmful, even fatal. In my state, illinois, the meningitis vaccine for older children (11 years and up) is not required. But meningitis, though rare, is a horrible disease with severe consequences, including death. Get all the vaccines your doctor recommends.

Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Lawrence Rosen

In brief: No

Depends on what you mean by "required" and how you weigh risks and benefits.
For example, hepatitis A vaccine is not required by many US states for school entry, but would be a good idea to consider if traveling to a country where hepatitis A is common. Would I recommend it for all children in the US? No.

In brief: No

Dr. Lawrence Rosen
Dr. Lawrence Rosen
Dr. Cindy Juster