I take thyroid medication with food and I feel better then when I take it on an empty stomach. Is this ok to continue to do as long as I feel good?

Dr. Ghiath Kashlan

In brief: Empty stomach

Synthroid (thyroxine) should be taken on an empty stomach as this would increase absorption.
However, I have pts that take it with food. My recommendation is to get TSH levels checked more frequently. You should avoid taking it with walnuts and high-fiber foods.

In brief: Empty stomach

Dr. Ghiath Kashlan
Dr. Ghiath Kashlan
David Bracho
General Practice

In brief: Thyroid on empty

Most synthetic thyroid medications are absorbed best on an empty stomach.
Taking the drug with food could decrease the ability of the drug to be absorbed and make it less effective. Keep doing what you are doing; your physician should periodically monitor the effect of your drug, so you can know how well it is working.

In brief: Thyroid on empty

David Bracho
David Bracho
Answer assisted by David Bracho, Medical Student
Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Consistency is key

If you feel better taking your synthroid (thyroxine) with food, then you can continue to do so.
Just be consistent and always take it with food so your blood levels of thyroid hormone doesn't fluctuate too much.

In brief: Consistency is key

Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Steven Seres