I have a high cholesterol reading. I am fit in that I exercise 4 times a week. In december my brother had a heart attack. Do I need a statin.?

Yes. Most likely, unless there are reasons that you are unable to take a statin. These medications have been demonstrated to lower the risk for heart attacks. An elevated cholesterol and a family history of coronary heart disease suggest you would benefit from a statin. Keep up the exercise! Follow a proper diet.
Probably. If your cholesterol is high and you have family history of early heart disease, then you may need a statin. However, this usually (not always) can be fixed by diet which is cheaper with no side effects. Cut out most meat from your diet - no red meat, pork, and other fatty meats. Limit egg consumption. Limit dairy consumption. Reduce oil/fat use in cooking. Eat out less often.
High cholesterol. To better guide you, get your cholesterol fractionated which actually counts the types of particle that are bad (sticky and small) vs okay. This helps determine what treatments are best for you. Also getting a lipoprotein a tested. The literature on statins is impressive to help decrease cholesterol and inflammation for both men and women.
Maybe. Remember: activity, diet and exercise might not impact much your cholesterol if it is familiar. The fact your brother had a heart attack adds an additional risk factor. Treatment is guided by your lipid profile as a whole including levels of cholesterol, ldl, hdl. Other factors might be taken in consideration as well.