I'm having a tough time with menopause, over three years of hot flashes and night sweats. Is the degree of discomfort something that is hereditary?

Dr. Felecia Dawson
In brief: Not necessarily.
If you handle menopause the same way as your family you may get the same result.
Your endocrine (hormone), immune, and nervous systems are intimately related. If one is out of balance it can affect the others. Your hormones won't work well, despite adequate hormone replacement, if your adrenals and neurotransmitter (chemical messengers in the brain) levels are abnormal.

In brief: Not necessarily.
Dr. Felecia Dawson
Dr. Felecia Dawson
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Menopause
The hot flashes, emotional changes, and night sweats are different for all women, and I have seen more severe symptoms run in the females in the family.
There are some natural remedies, and prescriptions that can ease the symptoms.

In brief: Menopause
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Vicken Poochikian