What can I do to help myself get going in the morning (avoiding caffeine)? I wake at 5am and get 8-9 hrs of sleep per night.

Pathology
In brief: Morning excercise
It is not clear what you mean by "get going".
You may be suffering from depression. If you are mentally/emotionally not ready, but physically okay, try getting into a routine of aerobic excercise in the morning. Vigorous excercise is also therapeutic for depression, just in case.

In brief: Morning excercise
Saurabh Bajpai
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Breakfast
When we wake up our body has been fasting while we sleep and our sugar levels are low.
Having a balanced breakfast in the morning can replenish your energy and get your metabolism going. If you feel severe fatigue even after a few hours of waking up, then there might be another underlying cause. Please consult your doctor if you feel un-naturaly tired.

In brief: Breakfast
Saurabh Bajpai
Saurabh Bajpai
Answer assisted by Saurabh Bajpai, Medical Student
Dr. Jack Hinkle