Will letting my baby use a pacifier make it harder for her to nurse?

Dr. Theresa Willett
In brief: Nipple Confusion?
The short answer, of course, is "maybe.
" babies have a reflexive need to suck, but the way they need to suck to nurse is different than how they can suck on a bottle or pacifier. In the first week or so of nursing, the different shape of a pacifier may make learning a good latch at the breast harder, but many babies do great with both. If she nurses well, it should not be a problem for her or you!

In brief: Nipple Confusion?
The short answer, of course, is "maybe.
Dr. Theresa Willett
Dr. Theresa Willett
Dr. Gregg Alexander
I couldn't agree more. I've had loads of Ukrainian moms in my practice, every one of whom breast and bottle fed from day one, along with using a pacifier, and not once did any of them have any problems with feeding. I think expectations and approach may have a huge impact on feeding outcomes.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Not likely
Many lactation consultants and physicians do not like pacifiers saying it leads to nipple confusion.
Personal experience does not bear that out...Although there are always one or two children who don't read the manuals(lol) and have issues. A pacifier can be an immense relief for the baby who needs non nutritive sucking. Parents control how long the baby uses it!

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Shontae Buffington