Can diabetics have bariatric surgery. Is it safe?

Yes. Gastric bypass has actually been claimed to be curative of diabetes, even fixing it before substantial weight is even lost. And in the hands of an experienced surgeon there's minimal risk to the operation.
Yes. Assuming you are healthy enough to tolerate surgery, losing weight by any means will improve your diabetes. Diabetes resulting from morbid obesity is one of indicators to consider bariatric surgery. It may help your diabetes alot!
Yes. Best thing for diabetes is weight loss and surgery works better than any diet.
Yes. One of the big interests in bariatric surgery is the benefit it can provide for type 2 diabetes. Results can be seen immediately. Bariatric surgery, however, will do nothing for type i (insulin requiring) diabets.
Diabesity. If you are a obese diabetic who qualifies for bariatric surgery you should obsolutely consider it. Find a specialist in your area and go in for a consult.