Can herpes appear other places than lips mouth eyes and genitals? I get cold sores on my lips often but now I have had breakout on hands arms back

Saurabh Bajpai
Emergency Medicine

Herpes can appear throughout the body.
Common infection of the skin or mucosa may affect the face and mouth (orofacial herpes), genitalia (genital herpes), hands (herpetic whitlow), eye (herpes keratitis) and even brain (herpes encephalitis). Please consult your physician to make sure that you do not have a spread of herpatic infection.

Herpes can appear throughout the body.
Saurabh Bajpai
Saurabh Bajpai
Answer assisted by Saurabh Bajpai, Medical Student
Dr. Bruce Mulder
Dentistry

In brief: Possible

Herpes simplex usually does not usually affect skin above the waist.
Herpes zoster or VZV can cause painful rash on any part of the body & travels in the nerve sheath. Ask a dermatologist to diagnose your rash when it appears again.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Bruce Mulder
Dr. Bruce Mulder
Dr. Kyle Shank
Dentistry

Yes it can. This is called herpetic witlow.
It's generally only seen in people with underlying immune problems (like aids patients or people with other primary immune deficiencies). Any time i (a dentist) see a patient with herpetic witlow, that is an immediate referral to an md to figure out what the underlying immune problem is.

Dr. Kyle Shank
Dr. Kyle Shank