What should I do if my baby tested positive for a dust mite allergy?

Dr. Eli Silver
In brief: Two approaches
A. Reduce the dust mite allergen exposure -- place dust mite proof covers on pillow and mattress.
Wash the linen in hot water once a week. Remove soft/plush toys from the bed (if possible). B. If the above interventions are not enough, an allergy medicine could be tried to control the inflammation caused by the dust mite exposure.

In brief: Two approaches
Dr. Eli Silver
Dr. Eli Silver
Dr. Craig Canapari
In brief: Question diagnosis
I don't usually thing of environmental allergy occurring commonly before age three, unlike food allergy.
Rast (blood) testing has frequent false positive values and skin testing is seldom performed in infants. I would like to know what symtoms are being attributed to the allergy. If it was a positive test in the absence of symptoms, i would ignore it.

In brief: Question diagnosis
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Simple tips
Dust mite sensitivity is the most common allergy.
You can help prevent dust mite exposure by using tightly woven dust mite proof encasements on pillows, mattresses, and boxsprings. Other measures include keeping the house humidity lower than 50%, washing all bedding in hot water (over 140 f), and vacuuming carpeting in the bedroom with a hepa filter containing vacuum.

In brief: Simple tips
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Dr. Douglas Tzanetos
Dr. Vicken Poochikian