My 6 month old likes to chew on baby wipes. Occassionally i'll give her one at night so she doesn't cry and wake her dad. Is chewing wipes bad for her?

Dr. Helaine Levine

In brief: 2

Most baby wipes have chemical in them which should not be ingested.
However a more serious problem is the choking hazard. Try a thin wash wrung out wash cloth instead which is not small enough for the baby to swallow or potentially block the airway. This makes a good teething aide.

In brief: 2

Dr. Helaine Levine
Dr. Helaine Levine

In brief: Comercial ones yes

I agree with dr bucek that this is not a good habit if it involves regular baby wipes.
If this is going to be a major stress for the two of you an alternative is making a few non-toxic wipies of your own.I occasionally recomend olive oil/vegatable oil impregnated towels as an alternative to store products.A tablespoon or so of oil in a ziplock bag with the towels can make a few.

In brief: Comercial ones yes

Dr. John Bucek

In brief: Probably

Depending on the brand there can be 10 or more chemicals impregnated into wipes.
These include: fragrances, detergents, stabilizers, texture modifiers, etc. They are tested for safety based on short term contact with skin. Swallowing the chemicals found in wipes should be avoided.

In brief: Probably

Dr. John Bucek
Dr. John Bucek
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham