Can acupuncture work for sciatica pain?

Possibly. Although not understood fully, acupuncture has shown good success in some pain syndromes. Only way to know is try it out. If after a few treatments you can't see a difference I would seek out a pain/spine specialist for other options.
Yes, however.... Acupuncture can be very beneficial for sciatica. But here is the thing about sciatica- it always has an underlying cause. Best to find out what the cause of your sciatica is. That way the specific condition can be treated. Acupuncture is a great adjunct as it can treat inflammation & pain (but will not cure a fixed anatomic problem).