By wearing a walking cast for broken ankle could I work?

Depends. On the type of work you do. If you have an office type job that allows you to sit you can probably work.
Depends. If you have a desk job that does not require you to be on your feet all day.
Depends. That would depend on the type of work you do. If your work involves a lot of walking or climbing, you might want to request an alternate duty temporarily; if you're walking only occasionally, there shouldn't be any problem. Just don't be in a hurry and be careful with steps and wet/snowy/icy walkways.