In hashimoto thyroiditis why is there an initial increase in thyroid levels?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Mechanism
The thyroid has 2 months of thyroid hormones stored inside it.
When it gets inflamed (thyroidtis), it can't hold on to the thyroid hormones and the hormones leak out into the blood stream. That's why you have high level at the beginning. Once all the hormone is leaked out, there is no hormones left and the body has to make the hormone again which is why you become low.

In brief: Mechanism
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Quang Nguyen
In a normal person, the thyroid will recover and starts making thyroid hormones again (normal level). In people with Hashimoto's, you don't recover enough or at all and you become permanently low requiring thyroid hormone replacement.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Are you a medical student? The hormones are stored in the colloid inside the follicle in the form of iodinated thyroglobulin. T4 and T3 are attached to this thyroglobulin inside the follicles.
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: Great question
I looked up pathophysiology of hashimotos and it states that its poorly understood.
Maybe a pathologist can help answering this question. My guess would be the thyroid gland tries to build more hormones to compensate for the loss. At first it wins the battle, but eventualy theres too many antibodies so it gets "burnt out".

In brief: Great question
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Arnon Rubin