My dad just overcame skin, prostate and kidney cancer. And my mom had breast cancer 3 times. And my cousin has brain cancer? How high is my risk?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Higher!

Kat13, your biggest risk is likely breast cancer.
If your mom was diagnosed before she was 50, your risk is higher for breast cancer than it would be otherwise. There are some genetic cancer syndromes that increase risk for brain, kidney, and breast cancer. Ask your doctor to refer you to a genetic counselor who can investigate your family history further and guide you re: genetic testing.

In brief: Higher!

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Just a note from Dr. Marci---Myriad genetics has test kits. Insurance is now more likely to cover testing. See their website for the criteria. Lynch syndrome could be a genetic disorder that may qualify you for tests.
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Probably higher

Many cancers have a genetic link, so it is best to let your doctor know so they can screen you earier. The cancers you are mentioning do very well typically when caught early.
By screening earlier, hopefully you'd catch anything before it became a problem.

In brief: Probably higher

Dr. Raymundo Romero
There are 2 genetic test available BRACanalysis and COLARIS, your parents should consider doing them.
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Genertic testing

Did your mother undergo genetic testing for the brca gene mutations? This would be important information regarding your risk of breast cancer.
You should being breast cancer screening 5 - 10 years prior to when she developed breast cancer or at age 40, whichever comes first.

In brief: Genertic testing

Dr. William A Biermann
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Get checked

There are some links between prostate and breast cancer.
The others not so much. You might want to ask your parents to discuss genetics evaluation to see if there is a genetic predisposition to cancer. Otherwise not clear if your risk is different.

In brief: Get checked

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: HIGH

A positive family history places you at higher risk than the average person.
Skin, prostate and breast can be screened for. For kidney and brain cancer no screening guidelines exist.

In brief: HIGH

Dr. Jane Van Dis