Are five hour energy drinks every day bad for you?

Randy Burgett
General Practice

The problem with 5 hour energy drinks is the amount of vitamins they contain (8333% recommended daily intake of b12).
This is an essential, water soluble vitamin that is excreted by your kidney. However, taking this much every day could lead to kidney failure or other effects from an excess of vitamin b12. Anything is toxic to your body in extreme amounts, even water and oxygen!

Randy Burgett
Randy Burgett
Answer assisted by Randy Burgett, Medical Student
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Depends

Many of those drinks are high in sugar and caffeine, others are high in b vitamins.
I'd avoid the first set, but the sugar and caffeine-free ones really aren't that bad for you. However, look at the ingredients closely as sometimes the chemicals are converted to things like caffeine.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Vicken Poochikian